Looking at the UK's educational performance through international data comparisons
- The UK’s maths performance is significantly ahead of the average for OECD nations.
- In 2018, the UK’s score rose significantly. The UK was ranked 17th of the nations surveyed, up from 28th in 2015.
- Asian countries such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea and China’s main cities achieve the highest scores and rankings.
- Amongst Western countries, Estonia, Netherlands, Poland and Switzerland are among those with higher scores than the UK.
The OECD PISA Survey
- The UK was ranked 14th in science in 2018 and has held a similar position for the last decade.
- The UK, like many nations including Japan, Korea, Finland and Canada, has seen its score gently falling since 2012.
- Singapore has maintained the most consistent score.
- China has the highest score but based on research in Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang only.
International Comparison of Science Skills at age 15
- The UK’s reading score has changed little since 2012.
- The UK’s score is similar to the United States, Australia and New Zealand.
- In 2018 the highest scores are achieved by Asian countries – Singapore, Hong Kong and China’s main cities.
- Amongst western countries, Estonia, Finland, Canada and Ireland achieve the highest scores.
International Comparison of Reading Skills at age 15